What is the issue ?
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has relinquished its authority over stand-alone institutions in the country which will take over by AICTE henceforth.
What are stand-alone institutions ?
Higher education institutions, which are not affiliated to any university but recognised by various councils or ministries of the government, as well as polytechnics fall under the category of standalone institutions.
About All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE):
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was set up in November 1945 as a national-level apex advisory body to conduct a survey on the facilities available for technical education and to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner.
The AICTE Act was constituted to provide for the establishment of an All India Council for Technical Education.
And to ensure the same, as stipulated in the National Policy of Education (1986), AICTE was vested with:
- Statutory authority for planning, formulation, and maintenance of norms and standards
- Quality assurance through accreditation
- Funding in priority areas, monitoring, and evaluation
- Maintaining parity of certification and awards
- The management of technical education in the country