National Health Scheme (NHS)
What is the issue ?
- The government’s ambitious mega health care programme for 10 crore poor families will roll out by October 2.
- It is to be funded in a 60:40 proportion by the Centre and states, with the premium per family estimated at Rs 1,000-1,200.
Who will be covered under the scheme ?
- A total 10 crore families or 50 crore beneficiaries, classified as ‘deprived’ in the socio-economic caste census of 2011, will be covered by the scheme.
How can the scheme be availed ?
- It will be a cashless Aadhaar-linked facility with beneficiaries availing treatment anywhere in the country in empanelled private or public hospitals.
Implementation of the scheme ?
There are two routes to implement the scheme
- buying insurance from a private company
- involving a government-supported trust to provide the insurance cover.
It would be left to the state governments to decide which model they would like to adopt.
What will the scheme cover ?