What is the issue ?
- Mobile application 'Roadkills' has been launched to help citizens report deaths of wild animals.
- The Wildlife Conservation Trust (WCT), an NGO has developed the app
How will the 'Roadkills' app work ?
- Users will be allowed to geotag photographs of the roadkill to a public forum.
- The data submitted by users will be used to identify crucial road or rail stretches that urgently require mitigation measures.
Significance of the app :
- The information generated from the application can help identify crucial sections of roads or railway lines where animal deaths are high to pinpoint regions that require urgent mitigation measures.
- The data can also help determine what species are more at risk on specic road or rail stretches and plan the ideal mitigation measures suited for the location – from underpasses or overpasses for large mammals to canopy bridges for arboreal ones, such as monkeys.