Schemes for achieving gender Equality and Emancipation of Rural Women
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is implementing various schemes/programmes for achieving gender equality and emancipation of women including rural women such as:
1. Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP):
- To address the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and related issues of empowerment of women over a life-cycle continuum.
- It is a tri-ministerial effort of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health and Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
2. Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), (erstwhile Maternity Benefit Programme)
- To contribute towards better enabling environment by providing cash incentives for improved health and nutrition to pregnant and nursing mothers.
3. Scheme for Adolescent Girls
- Aims at girls in the age group 11-14, to empower and improve their social status through nutrition, life skills, home skills and vocational training.
- The scheme aims at providing supplementary nutrition containing 600 calories, 18-20 grams of protein and micronutrients per beneficiary per day for 300 days in a year, motivating out of school girls to go back to formal schooling or skill training under non-nutrition component of the scheme.
- The cost norms for nutrition have also been revised from existing rates of Rs.5.00 per beneficiary per day to Rs.9.5 per beneficiary per day.
- Government has also approved phased expansion and universalisation of the Scheme for Adolescent Girls i.e. in additional 303 districts in 2017-18 and the remaining districts in 2018-19 with the simultaneous phasing out of Kishori Shakti Yojana.
4. National Nutrition Mission (NNM):
- Aims to attain a "Suposhit Bharat" and has also the objective of improving the nutritional status of pregnant women and lactating mothers and reducing anaemia among women along with children.
- Aims to achieve improvement in nutritional status of Children, pregnant women and lactating mothers and reduce anemia among children and women.
- It strives to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies.
- It will create synergy, ensure better monitoring, issue alerts for timely action, and encourage States/UTs to perform, guide and supervise the line Ministries and the States/ UTs to achieve the targeted goals.
5. Rastriya Mahila Kosh (RMK)
- For extending micro-finance services to bring about socio-economic upliftment of poor women,
6. Mahila e-Haat
- A unique direct online digital marketing platform for women entrepreneurs/ SHGs/ NGOs,
7. Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra
- Which will empower rural women through community participation to create an environment in which they realize their full potential
8. Training of Trainers of Elected Women Representatives of Panchayati Raj
- To deliberate upon issues related to empowerment of women and functioning of PRIs; describe processes of participatory planning in local governance; and enable women to identify their own leadership potential to contribute effectively as change agents.
9. ‘Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women (STEP) Scheme’
- The Ministry is administering ‘Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women (STEP) Scheme’ to provide skills that give employability to women and to provide competencies and skill that enable women to become self-employed/entrepreneurs.
- The Scheme is intended to benefit women who are in the age group of 16 years and above across the country.