What is the issue ?
- The Union Cabinet has approved the launch of the Ayushman Bharat scheme.
- AB-NHPM will subsume the ongoing Centrally sponsored schemes, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) and the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme
About the initiatives under Ayushman Bharat
1. Health and Wellness Centre :
- The National Health Policy, 2017 has envisioned Health and Wellness Centres as the foundation of India’s health system.
- Under this 1.5 lakh centres will bring health care system closer to the homes of people.
- These centres will provide comprehensive health care, including for non-communicable diseases and maternal and child health services.
- These centres will also provide free essential drugs and diagnostic services.
2. National Health Protection Scheme (to be launched):
- The second flagship programme under Ayushman Bharat is National Health Protection Scheme, which will cover over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries).
- Aims at providing coverage upto 5 lakh rupees per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
- Almost all secondary care and most of tertiary care procedures would be taken care of
- There will be no cap on family size and age.
- The benefit cover will include pre and post hospitalisation expenses.
- All pre-existing conditions will be covered from day one of the policy.
- A defined transport allowance per hospitalisation will also be paid to the beneficiary.
- This will be the world’s largest government funded health care programme.
How will India benefit from these initiatives ?
- The health sector initiatives under Ayushman Bharat Programme will build a New India 2022 and ensure enhanced productivity, well being and avert wage loss and impoverishment.
- These Schemes will also generate lakhs of jobs, particularly for women.