What is the issue ?
United Nation Environment has awarded Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB), Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India with Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018 for excellent work done by the Bureau in combating transboundary environmental crime.
More on the issue :
The Asia Environmental Enforcement Award recognizes the excellent work done by Government officials and teams from the bureau who are diligently involved in combating trans boundary environmental crime.
The Asia Environment Enforcement Awards publicly recognize and celebrate excellence in enforcement by government officials and institutions/teams combating transboundary environmental crime in Asia.
The awards are given to outstanding individuals and/or government organizations/teams that demonstrate excellence and leadership in enforcement of national laws to combat transboundary environmental crime in one of the following eligibility criteria areas: collaboration; impact; innovation; integrity and gender leadership.
WCCB has been conferred this award in Innovation category. WCCB has adopted innovative enforcement techniques that have dramatically increased enforcement of transboundary environmental crimes in India.
Steps taken to curb crime against wildlife :
Notably it has developed an online Wildlife Crime Database Management System to get real time data in order to help analyze trends in crime and devise effective measures to prevent and detect wildlife crimes across India.
This system has been successfully used to analyse trends, helping put in preventive measures as well as for successfully carrying out operations such as Operation SAVE KURMA, THUNDERBIRD, WILDNET, LESKNOW, BIRBIL, THUNDERSTORM, LESKNOW-II along with other enforcement agencies.
In order to involve the public in the fight against wildlife crime, WCCB has also developed a scheme to enroll willing persons as WCCB Volunteers.
About Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB)
1. Nature of organisation ?
• Statutory body.
2. Established in which year and under which act?
• Established in 2007 by amending Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
3. Works under which ministry/department ?
• Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
4. Chairman/President ?
6. Functions of the organisation ?
- It is mandated to collect and collate intelligence related to organised wildlife crime activities and to disseminate the same to State and other enforcement agencies for immediate action so as to apprehend the criminals
- Establish a centralised wildlife crime data bank
- Co-ordinate actions by various agencies in connection with the enforcement of the provisions of the Act
- Assist foreign authorities and international organisations concerned to facilitate co-ordination and universal action for wildlife crime control
- Advise the Government of India on issues relating to wildlife crimes having national and international ramifications, relevant policy and laws.
- It also assists and advises the Customs authorities in inspection of the consignments of flora & fauna as per the provisions of Wild Life Protection Act, CITES and EXIM Policy governing such an item.