What is the issue ?
- Presence of nearly 3,000 “darkships” in the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean at any point in time is the cause of a new worry for the Indian Navy.
What are dark ships ?
- Vessels that either don't have automated identification system (AIS) or don't switch it on.
What is the problem with such ships ?
- In absence of AIS, Indian Navy is in the dark about the nature of these vessels, their cargo and the routes
How many such vessels operate globally ?
- Globally, there are an estimated 22,000-30,000 dark vessels, out of which nearly 3,000 are in the Indian Ocean
Why is this a major concern for India ?
- “Dark shipping” adds a new security concern in the strategically important Indian Ocean, where the enhanced presence of Chinese warships and submarines as well as thousands of fishing boats already pose a big security challenge.