What is the issue ?
- Agni V, India's long range surface to surface ballistic missile was successfully tested for the fifth time.
- The missile covered 4900 km in a 19 minutes of its fifth test flight
About Agni V :
- Range of over 5000 km, India's longest range ballistic missile.
- Surface to surface, nuclear capable ballistic missile
- Can carry a payload of 1 tonne
- Developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
Importance of having Agni V in our arsenal :
- Agni V can reach most parts of China, making it the mainstay of India’s triad to deliver nuclear weapons.
- Agni V is a testament to India's indigenous advancements in defence.
In comparison :
- Pakistan’s most advanced Shaheen-2 missile is a two-stage rocket that can travel a distance of 1,200 km.
- China has a three-stage system that can travel up to a distance of 10,000 km bringing the entire India and the Pacific zones within China’s reach.