What is the issue ?
- The Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) military exercise is making headlines as the United States has disinvited China for this year's military event.
- RIMPAC 18 will be held in and around the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California.
Why has China be snubbed this time ?
- China has repeatedly tried to impose itself on the South China Sea with no regard for international maritime rules and regulations.
- Chinese militarisation of the South China Sea has been questioned and contested by various nations that lay claim over the maritime assets in the SCS.
- Considering the above mentioned factors, the US has disinvited China from participating in the exercise.
What is RIMPAC ?
- It is a biennial military exercise also having the distinction of being the world's largest international maritime exercise.
- The participating nations and forces will exercise a wide range of capabilities and demonstrate the inherent flexibility of maritime forces.
- 26 countries including India would be participating in this year's exercise.
- Brazil, Sri Lanka, Israel and Vietnam are participating in RIMPAC for the first time this year.
- The theme this year is 'Capable, Adaptive, Partners.'