What is the issue ?
- First draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) for Assam has listed 1.9 crore people out of the 3.29 crore applicants as legal Indian citizens.
- The exercise aims at identifying illegal immigrants in the state that borders Bangladesh.
About the National Register of Citizens :
- It is unique to Assam
- The last National Register of Citizens (NRC) was done in 1951 which registered 80 lakh Indians living in the state.
What is objective of updating the National Register of Citizens ?
- The sole objective of updating the NRC is to filter out the unknown number of illegal migrants from the state.
What is India's concern ?
- Large number of Bangladeshi foreign nationals reside in the state and their names also feature in the voters list of the state.