What is GravityRAT ?
- Malware which is designed to infliltrate computers, steal the data of users, and relay it to command and control centres in other countries.
- The ‘RAT’ in its name stands for Remote Access Trojan, which is a program capable of being controlled remotely and thus difficult to trace.
- Unlike other malwares, it is capable of doing long term damage by masking itself from security checks and adapting.
Which Indian agency is authorised to deal with such attacks ?
- Computer Emergency Response Team - India (CERT-In)
What is CERT-In ?
- CERT-In is a functional organisation of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, GOI with the objective of securing Indian cyber space.
- CERT-In provides Incident Prevention and Response services as well as Security Quality Management Services.
Objectives of CERT-In
- Preventing cyber attacks against the country's cyber space.
- Responding to cyber attacks and minimizing damage and recovery time reducing 'national vulnerablity to cyber attacks'
- Enhancing secuirty awareness among common citizens.
Information Technology (Amendment) Act 2008, designated CERT-In to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions of cyber security :
- Collection, analysis and dissemination of information on cyber incidents.
- Forecast and alerts of cyber security incidents.
- Coordination of cyber incident response activities
- Issue guidelines, advisories, vulnerability notes and whitepapers relating to information security practices, procedures, prevention, response and reporting of cyber incidents.
- Such other functions relating to cyber security as may be prescribed.