What is the issue ?
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for the Umbrella Scheme, "Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana" in agriculture sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan.
About Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana :
- The Umbrella scheme comprises of 11 Schemes/Missions.
- These schemes look to develop the agriculture and allied sector in a holistic and scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity andbetter returns on produce.
Schemes under Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana :
1. Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH)
- With a total central share of Rs. 7533.04 crore, MIDH aims to promote holistic growth of horticulture sector.
- To enhance horticulture production, improve nutritional security and income support to farm households.
2. National Food Security Mission (NFSM),
- Including National Mission on Oil Seeds and Oil Palm (NMOOP), with a total central share of Rs.6893.38 crore.
- It aims to increase production of rice, wheat, pulses, coarse cereals and commercial crops, through area expansion and productivity enhancement in a suitable manner in the identified districts of the country, restoring soil fertility and productivity at the individual farm level and enhancing farm level economy.
- It further aims to augment the availability of vegetable oils and to reduce the import of edible oils.
3. National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA)
- With a total central share of Rs.3980.82 crore.
- NMSA aims at promoting sustainable agriculture practices best suitable to the specific agro-ecology focusing on integrated farming, appropriate soil health management and synergizing resource conservation technology.
4. Submission on Agriculture Extension (SMAE)
- With a total central share of Rs.2961.26 crore.
- SMAE aims to strengthen the ongoing extension mechanism of State Governments, local bodies etc., achieving food and nutritional security and socio-economic empowerment of farmers, to institutionalize programme planning and implementation mechanism, to forge effective linkages and synergy amongst various stake-holders, to support HRD interventions, to promote pervasive and innovative use of electronic / print media, inter-personal communication and ICT tools, etc.
5. Sub-Mission on Seeds and Planting Material (SMSP)
- With a total central share of Rs.920.6 crore.
- SMSP aims to increase production of certified / quality seed, to increase SRR, to upgrade the quality of farm saved seeds, to strengthen the seed multiplication chain.
- To promote new technologies and methodologies in seed production, processing, testing etc., to strengthen and modernizing infrastructure for seed production, storage, certification and quality etc.
6. Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanisation (SMAM)
- With a total central share of Rs.3250 crore.
- SMAM aims to increase the reach of farm mechanization to small and marginal farmers and to the regions where availability of farm power is low, to promote ‘Custom Hiring Centres’ to offset the adverse economies of scale arising due to small landholding and high cost of individual ownership,
- To create hubs for hi-tech and high value farm equipment, to create awareness among stakeholders through demonstration and capacity building activities, and to ensure performance testing and certification at designated testing centers located all over the country.
7. Sub Mission on Plant Protection and Plan Quarantine (SMPPQ)
- With a total central share of Rs.1022.67 crore.
- SMPPQ aims to minimize loss to quality and yield of agricultural crops from the ravages of insect pests, diseases, weeds, nematodes, rodents, etc. and to shield our agricultural bio-security from the incursions and spread of alien species,
- To facilitate exports of Indian agricultural commodities to global markets, and to promote good agricultural practices, particularly with respect to plant protection strategies and strategies.
8. Integrated Scheme on Agriculture Census, Economics and Statistics (ISACES)
- With a total central share of Rs. 730.58 c