Supreme Court to Centre : Don't you dare use CAMPA funds inappropriately
What is the issue ?
- The Supreme Court pulled up the Centre for not using around Rs 90,000 crore assigned for environment restoration.
- SC also criticized the government for not utilizing this Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) fund for the right purpose.
Compensatory afforestation (CA)
- It refers to the afforestation and regeneration activities carried out as a way of compensating for forest land which is diverted to non-forest purposes.
- The Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980 provides that whenever forest land is to be diverted for non-forestry purposes, the equivalent non-forest land has to be identified for compensatory afforestation and funds for raising compensatory afforestation are to be imposed.
CAMPA (Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority)
- The ad hoc CAMPA body was created by the order of the Supreme Court dated 2009.
- The CAMPA was created as National Advisory Council under the chairmanship of the Environment Minister for monitoring, technical assistance and evaluation of compensatory afforestation activities.
- In the absence of permanent institutional mechanism more than Rs. 40,000 crores have accumulated with the said ad-hoc Body i.e. CAMPA.
CAMPA Bill 2015 :
Highlights of the Bill
- The Bill establishes the National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India, and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of each state.
- These Funds will receive payments for: (i) compensatory afforestation, (ii) net present value of forest (NPV), and (iii) other project specific payments.
- The National Fund will receive 10% of these funds, and the State Funds will receive the remaining 90%.
- These Funds will be primarily spent on afforestation to compensate for loss of forest cover, regeneration of forest ecosystem, wildlife protection and infrastructure development.
- The Bill also establishes the National and State Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authorities to manage the National and State Funds.
Key Issues and Analysis
- The Bill establishes the Funds for compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. However, there are several factors (other than administration of funds) which affect compensatory afforestation and forest conservation.
These factors are mentioned below.
- A 2013 CAG report noted that state forest departments lack the planning and implementation capacity to carry out compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. With the share of funds transferred to states increasing from 10% to 90%, effective utilisation of these funds will depend on the capacity of state forest departments.
- Procuring land for compensatory afforestation is difficult as land is a limited resource, and is required for multiple purposes, such as agriculture, industry, etc. This is compounded by unclear land titles, and difficulties in complying with procedures for land use.
- A High Level Committee on Environment Laws observed that quality of forest cover has declined between 1951 and 2014, with poor quality of compensatory afforestation plantations being one of the reasons behind the decline.
- The Bill delegates the determination of NPV (value of loss of forest ecosystem) to an expert committee constituted by the central government. As NPV constitutes about half of the total funds collected, its computation methodology would be important.